Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Robb Long Imaging "shoots" for Rock Island Armory




It's not everyday an ad agency approaches a photographer for marketing concepts, but it happened to me, and it couldn't have been more rewarding for all concerned. When they do, it's exciting. 

In my case recently, Sioux Falls based agency, Epicosity, brought me in. I had the privilege to meet with their Creative Director and Art Director personally, and to generate unique ideas with them. The objective was to showcase firearms products for one of their clients, Rock Island Armory, in a fresh way - steering away from a look that was overdone in the market. After tossing a few ideas around the table, they gave me the go ahead to execute what would turn out to be one "bad ass" portrait of a handgun.

"Epicosity wanted to create a bold, new look for our client, Rock Island Armory. But with so many brands in the shooting industry having virtually the same style of photography, we looked to Robb Long Imaging for some out-of-the-box collaboration. Who knew part of that collaboration would lead to something inside-the-box? By building a metal box prop and shooting it full of bullet holes, we were able to present Rock Island Armory firearms in a fresh, new light. We also created a series of images that played directly off the name by displaying Rock Island Armory guns set against a variety of rocks as our backdrop - a perfect complement to their tagline of "Solid As A Rock." – Scott Ostman, Creative Director, Epicosity
It was the greatest feeling to have the client trust my vision and expertise. For me personally, it was critical these images be successful especially knowing that the concepts I helped them come up with were only verbally expressed - no story boards. It was my strong hope that they could visualize the ideas I had in my mind. Having a solid background in lighting people for fashion, lifestyle and conceptual campaigns, I leveraged that experience and lit the gun as I would one of my fashion campaigns.

As a handgun enthusiast myself, hitting the gun range for the prop making of the bullet-hole-box was a "blast". A buddy of mine welded together a box made of 1/16th inch steel, then I took the box to a local gun range and shot it up with Armscor .22 TCM rounds, as well as a few 10mm rounds. These rounds cut through the steel box like butter.
I've got a few more handgun models that will be placed inside the bullet-hole-box to broaden the series of imagery, so keep an eye out for those too. I'm confident this new set up will have a sure-fire success rate.























To view more of Robb's work click here


Agency-Epicosity
Client-Rock Island Armory
Creative Director-Scott Ostman
Art Director-Jeremy Peters
Photographer-Robb Long Imaging
Finisher-Dan Kopton

No comments: